Huntingdon County Information Page

Dudley borough

Dudley: getting there: roads, rails and the river

From the county histories, on Dudley borough. The passage below is printed exactly as it appears in 1883, including the spelling of the day and the errors the scanner made. It has not been rewritten, summarised or added to.

In the Upper story is the lodge-room, and the floor above the basement is used for church and Sunday-school purposes. S. BorouGH or DupLEY., In what is now Dudley borough commenced as a village. At that time the land on which it stands belonged Wattson, Orbison, Dorris & Co. and the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad Company. The completion of the railroad to this point gave to mining an impetus which resulted in the springing village here. It was named Dudley, after a place of that name in England. It reached its greatest growth about 1864, after which time it slightly diminished in population till 1882, when an increase commenced. Incorporation., In the summer of 1876 William Brown and thirty-nine other freeholders of the village petitioned the court for a borough charter. The application was approved by the grand jury, and on the 13th of November in that year the court decreed that the town be incorporated asa borough, and constituted a separate election and school district.J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883) · character 1,531,480 of the scanned text

Sources

  1. J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883)

Quoted from the county histories

← All stories from Dudley borough