Huntingdon borough
The Founder's Bell
Did you know? When Huntingdon's first courthouse went up on Third Street, the man who laid out the town paid for its bell himself.
Dr. William Smith bought it from the Philadelphia bell founder Samuel Parker and presented it to the borough. The receipt survives, dated April 5, 1798. The bell carried his name cast right into it: "Cast by Samuel Parker, Philada., 1798. William Smith, D. D., to the borough of Huntingdon, Juniata."
That bell called the county to court for decades. And when the old Third Street courthouse finally came down, the town did not scrap it. They lifted it into the cupola of the school house, and it went right on ringing, calling children in to learn instead of calling men in to be judged.
It rang until a frosty morning, December 12, 1861, when it cracked while calling the schools.
The founder's bell spent its whole life calling this town to something better.
From the record
Passages about this subject, quoted from county histories now in the public domain. Each one names the book and the position in the text so it can be checked. Spelling is as printed.
As provided in the organic act, the courts were held in the house of Ludwig Sell until the erection of a court-house. Sell's house was a double two-story log structure on Allegheny street, between Second anJ Third streets, and was kept as a tavern by Mr. Sell, being the first public house of entertainment in Huntingdon. It was not long, however, until the trustees took the necessary steps to carry out the provisions of the act in the matter of erecting a court-house and jail. The first court-house stood between Penn and Allegheny streets, fronting on Third street. It was a brick edifice of three stories, one of which was a basement, in which were the offices of the prothonotary, register, recorder and clerk of the courts. Upon its completion the justices were escorted to the court-house with fife and drum, and for some time this method was in use to announce the sessions of the court. In 1798 a bell was placed on the court-house, after which the use of the fife and drum was discontinued. The bell weighed 254 pounds and bore the inscription "Cast by Samuel Parker, Philadelphia, 1798. William Smith, D.D., to the Borough of Huntingdon, Juniata." When the old court-house was torn down in the spring of 1848 the bell was placed upon the public school building, where it continued in use until December 12, 1861, when it was broken while ringing for school.John W. Jordan, ed., History of the Juniata Valley and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913) · character 119,606 of the scanned text
This bell weighed two hundred and fifty-four pounds, and bore the following inscription: "Cast by Samuel Parker, Phila., 1798. William Smith, D.D., to the Borough of Huntingdon, Juniata."! After the completion of a new courthouse in 1842 the old building fell into the possession of the borough authorities, who permitted it to be used for religious and public meetings until it was demolished in May, 1848, when the street it so long obstructed was again opened to its full width. By 1839, the population and wealth of the county had so increased as to justify the erection of a new building better proportioned to the business of the courts and the necessities of the public offices. A location on Penn Street near Fifth was proposed, but the county authorities finally decided to locate upon a plot two hundred feet square, being lots 31, 32, 33, and 34, extending from Penn to Washington Street, east of Third Street. John Cadwallader, an early settler and prominent member of the bar, owned and resided on the last three lots. Stephen Drury, a clock and mathematical instrument maker, owned lot No. 31.J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883) · character 343,554 of the scanned text
Classic instruction was subsequently added and the school continued by Rev. Johnston until near the time of his death, in 1823. The proprietor of the town, Rev. William Smith, D. D., by deed dated the 14th day of November, 1795, conveyed to the trustees of the "Public Grammar and Free School" and their successors as incorporated by law, the plot of ground at the northwestern corner of Fifth and Moore streets, containing two acres. That ground being remote from the center of population it was not occupied for the purpose for which it was donated until the year 1843, when a brick building, two stories in height, and containing four school rooms was erected thereon by the board of school directors. The building was subsequently enlarged so as to afford accommodations for eight schools. The bell that hung upon the Court House in Third street, was, on the removal of that building, placed in the cupola of the school house. It bore the inscription: "Cast by Samuel Parker, Philada., 1798. William Smith, D. D., to the borough cf Huntingdon, Juniata." It weighed 254 pounds and was cracked in calling the schools on a frcsty morning, December 12, 1861. Its place was supplied by a new and larger one.Historic Huntingdon, 1767-1909 · character 252,140 of the scanned text
Sources
Checked 2026-07-29 · County history, independently fact checked
More from Huntingdon borough
Did you know? Huntingdon tore down a courthouse people loved, and fifty five years later they were still sore about…
Huntingdon boroughNative American Civil RightsDid you know? The man who helped bring the first national Native American rights organization into being spent the last…
Huntingdon boroughHuntingdon WreckDid you know? Just before dawn on May 1, 1947, two sixteen foot sheets of steel shifted on an open gondola car of a…