
Three Springs borough's first photograph here, taken from Pennsylvania Route 994, which is Hudson Street where it runs through the town. The borough sits on the old East Broad Top line between Orbisonia and Saltillo.
Borough · Huntingdon County
4 stories on file, each with its sources. 1.2 square miles of land in the ridge and valley country of central Pennsylvania.
Three Springs, a station on the East Broad Top railroad in the southern part of the county, was laid out in the spring of 1843 and was first called Scottsville, for General Winfield Scott. A postoffice was soon after established there under that name. Richard Ashman and William White were the first merchants. George D. Hudson built . the first hotel, in the kitchen of which was taught the first school. Dr. Robert Baird was the first physician. Three Springs was incorporated as a borough on November 10, 1869, with William J. Hampson as the first chief burgess. Soon after the incorporation P. F. Bence started a local newspaper. In addition to the eighteen boroughs above mentioned, Huntingdon county is supplied with the following postoffices: Airydale, Aughwick Mills, Barree, Blairs Mills, Calvin, Charter Oak, Clair, Coles Summit, Colfax, Cora, Cottage, Decorum, Eagle Foundry, East Broad Top, Entriken, Franklinville, Grafton, Graysville, Jacob, James Creek, McAIevy's Fort, McConnellstown, McNeal, Maddensville, Manor Hill, Meadow Gap, Mentzer, Neelyton, Neffs Mills, Norrace, Nossville, Pennsylvania Furnace, Robertsdale, Ronald, Salter, Saulsburg, Selea, Shade Valley, Shy Beaver, Spruce Creek, Todd, Trough Creek, Union Furnace, Valley Point, Warriors Mark, Water Street and Wood. John W. Jordan, ed., History of the Juniata Valley and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913) · character 236,100 of the scanned text
Quoted from a work published before 1929 and therefore in the public domain in the United States. Spelling and punctuation are as printed, including nineteenth century spellings of place names. Scanned text carries optical character recognition errors; the character offset is given so the passage can be found and checked in the original.
4 stories

Three Springs borough's first photograph here, taken from Pennsylvania Route 994, which is Hudson Street where it runs through the town. The borough sits on the old East Broad Top line between Orbisonia and Saltillo.
From the county histories, on Three Springs borough. The passage below is printed exactly as it appears in 1883, including the spelling of the day and the errors the scanner made. It has not been rewritten, summarised or added to.
First Baptist Church of Saltillo., This is an outgrowth or out-station from the Baptist Church at Three Springs borough. The distance from and the inconvenience to which many of the members were . subject induced the leading members to build a meeting-house and have Baptist preaching at Saltillo; accordingly a church edifice of brick was erected in 1879, at a cost of fifteen hundred and five dollars. The following names comprised most, or all, of the members at Saltillo in 1879: Samuel McVitty and wife, John M. Wallace and wife, Emma McVitty, Amanda J. McVitty, George Senft and wife. The present membership is thirty-five. For list of preachers, see Three Springs Baptist Church. The Sunday-school connected with this branch reports an average attendance of sixty pupils, with Samuel McVitty, superintendent. Reformed Church of America., When the society at Saltillo was organized we are unable to state. The pioneer members of this church at this place were Philip Spahn, wife and two daughters, Anthony Hoffman, John Hoffman, Michael Brodbeck, Warner Thomas and wife, Mrs.J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883) · character 1,630,243 of the scanned text
Sources
From the county histories, on Three Springs borough. The passage below is printed exactly as it appears in 1883, including the spelling of the day and the errors the scanner made. It has not been rewritten, summarised or added to.
Dallas Bernhardt and Fanny Green were the first teachers in this school-house. In there was five months' school taught, with an average attendance of fifty-three scholars. Total amount raised by tax for the year was $173.53 ; State appropriation, $60.70. Total expenditures for the year, $178.72. " l Three Springs Borough., In there were two schools in the borough, in which the pupils of the town were instructed five months in each school. One male and one female teacher were employed, at twenty-five dollars for the male and twenty dollars for thé female teacher. There was an average attendance of forty-five pupils per day during the term of school.J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883) · character 1,634,927 of the scanned text
Sources
From the county histories, on Three Springs borough. The passage below is printed exactly as it appears in 1883, including the spelling of the day and the errors the scanner made. It has not been rewritten, summarised or added to.
Lick Branch and North Branch are the head-waters of Mountain Branch, flowing easterly through the north part of the township, and Three Springs Creek, rising in the central portion of the township, flows northeasterly and receives the Mountain Branch at Three Springs borough. There are several mineral springs in the township, and through the central portion of the township are several outcrops and indications of hematite and fossil ores, The East Broad Top Railroad runs across the northeast end of the township, following the valleys of Mountain and Lick Branches as they wind around the base of mountains and ridges, passing through Three Springs and Saltillo boroughs and Clear Ridge Gap, in the extreme north part of the township, and out through a tunnel under Sideling Hill Mountain near P. Hoffman's. Early Settlers and Pioneer Beginnings., A mong the pioneers of what is now Clay township we find Col. George Ashman, who came here about 1779, and purchased the land called "The Three Springs Tract," containing over eighteen hundred acres, still known as the Three Springs farm. He built a house thereon, which became his future residence, and is still standing. He brought with him his "human chattels," as at that early day slavery had not been abolished in the Keystone State. The plantation was subsequently divided into eight or nine farms, but the original homestead is still in possession of his heirs, of whom Richard Ashman, of Three Springs borough, is principal.J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883) · character 1,598,994 of the scanned text
Sources
Where it sits