Mount Union borough
The Brick Office that Became the Red Cross

Look at the sign in the yard.
This little brick building on Market Street was the General Refractories Company office. When the company closed its Mount Union yard in the early 1950s, the brickyard and seven houses next to it were leveled. Three buildings were spared, for a reason that had nothing to do with sentiment: the office, the superintendent's house and a weigh shed happened to sit on a line with the residential streets instead of with the plant. The shed became somebody's house. The office became the local Red Cross headquarters. The plant site itself was cleared and became the town's park and athletic field.
The Red Cross goes a long way back here. Huntingdon County has had a chapter at Mount Union since the First World War, covering everything east and south of Jacks Mountain, and in the 1920s it was running classes in town in sewing and cooking for the newest families.
Sources
- HABS PA-5973 p.35
- HABS PA-5974 pp.6-7
- Sesqui 1937, American Red Cross (Mount Union chapter, territory east and south of Jacks Mountain)
- Mt. Union Times, 4 September 1924, cited in HABS PA-5974 p.6
- LOC caption pa2851.photos.038947p
Checked 2026-09-09 · Historic Mount Union collection
More from Mount Union borough
This stone house stands on West Water Street near Division. The federal survey records it as the John Sharrar House and…
Mount Union boroughAetna Explosion 1916Did you know? The building that killed six men at Mount Union had been catching fire all summer, and the paper reported…
Mount Union boroughKistler, the Village that Was DesignedMost company towns were laid out by engineers with almost no thought given to how they would feel to live in. Kistler…