Huntingdon County Information Page

Mount Union borough

Market Street

One of the oldest, most faded views we have of Market Street, from around the turn of the last century. Time and the camera have washed most of it soft, but you can still make out the old street lamps and the shape of a small town on the edge of its brick boom.

From the record

Passages about this subject, quoted from county histories now in the public domain. Each one names the book and the position in the text so it can be checked. Spelling is as printed.

He continued in the tin and sheet metal business until 1862, at No. 22 East Market street, then increased his stock and made hardware his specialty. In 1871 he moved his store to No. 13 East Market street, on the northeast comer of the Public Square, where he continued in business until his death, one of the best known and prosperous merchants of the county. The business is still conducted for the estate. He had been interested in military matters since 1858, when he was chosen captain of the Logan Guards, then newly oi^nized. In April, 1861, the "Guards" volunteered for service, and immediately after the fall of Fort Sumter their services were accepted, and on the evening of April 16, 1861, the company, one hundred strong, entrained for Harrisburg (the telegram of acceptance having arrived in the morning of the same day). The "Guards" were the first company to arrive in Harrisburg, and one of the first five companies mustered into the United States service from Pennsylvania. On April 18 they left with four other Pennsylvania companies for Washington, passed through Baltimore one day earlier than the Sixth Massachusetts, but escaped the fury of the mob that attacked that regiment. They handed in the first report of the day at Washington, on the 19th, and were soon ordered on duty at Fort Washington, remaining there until their three months' term of service expired.John W. Jordan, ed., History of the Juniata Valley and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913) · character 1,008,973 of the scanned text
Mr. Russell then continued in business under his own name, and as William Russell, Banker, conducted a private bank at the comer of Brown and Market streets in the building erected in 1837 by the Lewistown Bank, and he also had his residence in the house built on the rear of the same lot. It is believed to have been at that time the only bank between Harrisburg and Williamsport. He continued business as William Russell, Banker, until January i, 1883, when the firm name was changed to William Russell & Son, the present title and location being the same as when first started. Mr. Russell was a wise financier, successful in business, and, while he surrendered the leadership and burden to his son, did not retire until death claimed him at the age of eighty-three years. He did a great deal for the development of Lewistown, organized or assisted in the organization of many industries ; was borough treasurer, also treasurer of the Gas Company and the Water Works Company. He was high-minded and honorable in business and a warm friend of church and school. He was a member of the Presbyterian church; his wife of the Episcopal. In politics he was a Republican and, as stated, a friend of Stevens and ardently supported the principles of that party.John W. Jordan, ed., History of the Juniata Valley and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913) · character 1,053,125 of the scanned text
Haven and for six years was in charge of the tailoring department at the government Indian school at Carlisle, Pennsylvania. In 1900 he located in Lewistown, opening a merchant tailoring store on Dorcas street, but moving the next year to his present store on Market street, where he is well established and prosperous. He is a Democrat in politics and both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. While at Carlisle Mr. Snyder was made a Mason in Carlisle Lodge, No. 260, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, where he yet holds his membership. He married, October 17, 1900, Jane Cochran, bom in Perry county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Robert and Anna (McFarland) Cochran. The first actual settler in what is now the township of BRATTON Bratton, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, was Andrew Bratton, who with Samuel Holliday, his brother-inlaw, came over the mountains early in 1755 in search of lands on which to locate. Andrew selected a tract on the south side of the Juniata river, and made application at the land office at the same time. Samuel located at what is now McVeytown.John W. Jordan, ed., History of the Juniata Valley and Its People (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913) · character 1,034,515 of the scanned text

Sources

  1. page_history caption 'Market Street around the turn of the last century'
  2. Photograph credit: Historic Mount Union archive

Checked 2026-08-25 · Historic Mount Union collection

← All stories from Mount Union borough