Mount Union borough
The old high school
The old Mount Union High School. Generations of Trojans passed through these doors before consolidation.
From the record
Passages about this subject, quoted from county histories now in the public domain. Each one names the book and the position in the text so it can be checked. Spelling is as printed.
John G. Glock, of whom this brief sketch is written, was born on the 1st day of April, 1807, in the village of Hoeneck, Wiirtemberg, Germany. His ancestors had lived there for many generations, and had been farmers and coopers by occupation, and in their religious belief Lutherans. His father, Jacob Philip Glock, married Miss Catherine Aininger, whose parents and ancestors as far back as can be traced had lived in the same village and had belonged to the same church. They had twelve children, of whom four sons and two daughters only grew to man's and woman'sestate. John Glock grew up in his native village, receiving a common-school education, and when old enough learned to work on the farm and at the cooper's trade. In 1832 his brother Frederick, who was working at his trade (a blacksmith) in Frànce, wrote John a letter, saying that a party of young men were about to go to America, and tbat he would go if he (John) would go also. To this he at once replied in the affirmative, and Frederick came home, and they went to Amsterdam, and with only enough money to pay their fare and with all their worldly possessions in their knapsacks, they embarked on the sailing-ship " Unskanogen" for the New World beyond the sea. After a long and pleasant trip of sixty-six days they landed in Baltimore, Md.J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883) · character 2,266,351 of the scanned text
The old building fell into the possession of the borough authorities who permitted it to be used for religious and public meetings until it was demolished in May, 1848. The bell which had been presented by Dr. Smith was then removed to the public school house where it was used for calling the children to school until the frosty morning of Dec. 12, 1861, when it ceased to perform its duties, for on that morning it was cracked in ringing. The original papers relating to this court House have been filed by Mr. R. A. Orbison, in the office of the county 77 commissioners, where it is hoped they will be preserved for future generations. By 1839, the population and wealth of the county had so increased as to justify the erection of a new building better proportioned to the business cf the courts and the necessities of the public offices. A location on Penn Street near Fifth, was proposed, but the county authorities finally decided to locate upon a plot two hundred feet square, being lots 31, 32, 33, and 34, extending from Penn to Washington Street, east of Third Street. John Cadwallader, an early and prominent member of the bar, owned and resided on the last three lots. Stephen Drury, a clock and mathematical instrument maker, owned lot No. 31. On the 6th of August, 1793, in the days of the State loan, Cadwallader executed a mortgage to the commissioners of the county for the use of the commonwealth on his lots for three hundred dollars.Historic Huntingdon, 1767-1909 · character 130,721 of the scanned text
Since his death, in the spring of 1881, the clerk has been Alfred Porter. The former was elected superintendent of a Sabbath-school at Alexandria in 1825, and served continuously as superintendent of the school through three generations of children, in all that long period being prompt, unobtrusive, and an exemplary man throughout. He filled the position until within a few Sabbaths of his death. In February, 1851, the present church edifice, a large and substantial building, was consecrated by the Rev. G. W. Thompson. It cost with its surroundings more than six thousand dollars. The " White Meeting-House" was torn down about that time, and part of the material used in the furnishing of the lecture-room of the present church. Trustees in 1881, Livingston Robb, Hugh Cunningham, William A. Whittaker, Henry Swoope, Sterrett Livingston, John N. Swoope, and C. P. Hatfield. Christ's Reformed Church of Alexandria., At Water Street, in Morris township, a Union meeting- house was built about 1817 by the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations of that part of the county, which was dedicated during the pastorate of the Rev. John Deitrick Aurandt, in which the members of the Reformed Church in Porter worshiped until some twenty-five years later, when the above church was established at Alexandria. The Rev. Mr.J. Simpson Africa, History of Huntingdon and Blair Counties, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Louis H. Everts, 1883) · character 2,775,506 of the scanned text
Sources
No source list was recorded with this item when it was written. It is shown here as written and has not been re-verified. Treat it as unverified until it has been.
Checked 2026-07-09 · Historic Mount Union collection
More from Mount Union borough
This stone house stands on West Water Street near Division. The federal survey records it as the John Sharrar House and…
Mount Union boroughThe Brick Office that Became the Red CrossLook at the sign in the yard. This little brick building on Market Street was the General Refractories Company office.…
Mount Union boroughAetna Explosion 1916Did you know? The building that killed six men at Mount Union had been catching fire all summer, and the paper reported…