Mount Union borough
The Plant Across the River

The third brickyard in town was started by two men who used to run the first one. R. P. M. Davis and Clinton V. Hackman, both former managers for Harbison-Walker, organized the Mount Union Refractories Company and built its plant in 1911 and 1912 on the edge of town along the Juniata. It opened with eight kilns. During the First World War they built twenty one more.
In 1922 the company put up a second plant in Clearfield County and renamed itself U.S. Refractories. In 1930 it merged into North American Refractories. The yard ran until March of 1990, and all but two of its beehive kilns came down after that.
This is the plant seen from Kistler, the town it built.
Sources
- HABS PA-5974 p.4
- HABS PA-5974 p.7
- LOC caption pa2824.photos.038901p
Checked 2026-09-02 · Historic Mount Union collection
More from Mount Union borough
This stone house stands on West Water Street near Division. The federal survey records it as the John Sharrar House and…
Mount Union boroughThe Brick Office that Became the Red CrossLook at the sign in the yard. This little brick building on Market Street was the General Refractories Company office.…
Mount Union boroughAetna Explosion 1916Did you know? The building that killed six men at Mount Union had been catching fire all summer, and the paper reported…